| TechNote #133.2013-32:
MathType Tab has disappeared from Microsoft Word 2013, 32-bit
The information in this document applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows 2013, 32-bit
This is a continuation of TSN133...
If you have not first read and followed the steps in
that article, please go to TSN133
and go through the process described there.
Solution for Word 2013, 32-bit:
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- From the File tab choose Options.
- In the resulting window, from the left-side navigation menu
- Using the drop-down menu located at the bottom of the
window, choose Word Add-ins and click the button labeled, "Go".
- In the resulting window, under Global Templates and add-ins,
the following items should be present and have a checkmark next
- MathType Commands 6 for Word 2013.dotm
- If the items from step 5 are present and checked,
click OK. If they're present but not checked, click to place a
checkmark in the box, then click OK. The tab should be present.
- If the items from step 5 are not present,
that's OK. Please try this:
- Click the Add button. This
will open a window titled Add Template.
- In the window, navigate to one of these 2
paths (if the first one isn't on your computer,
go to the second one):
C:\Program Files\MathType\Office Support\32
C:\Program Files (x86)\MathType\Office
- You will see the following items in
the folder (among others):
MathType Commands 6 for Word 2013.dotm
- Select one of them at a time, and click
Open. This will bring it into
the Add-Ins box. You will then need to click
Add one more time to bring in the other add-in
(either MathType Commands 6 for Word 2013.dotm or
- Once you have both of them listed
under Templates and Add-ins, the boxes on the left side
should have a checkmark inside, but if they
don't, click to place a checkmark there. Click OK.
- This will restore the MathType Tab to the Word
Ribbon. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to load
them in. Let us know if this helps.
If you have meticulously worked through this process and the MathType tab is
still not on the ribbon in Word 2013 32-bit,
please write and let us know you've gone through the steps
here, and you still don't have a MathType tab. Please let us
know what versions of Windows, Word, and MathType you're using, as well as your
MathType product key.