| TechNote #134:
Microsoft Word: UIRibbonCLS error
The information in this document applies to:
- Microsoft Word 2007 and later
When starting Microsoft Word, there are occasions where the
following error message will be displayed:
"MathType has detected an error in
UIRibbonCLS.Error running cmd=NoDIrectCall_OnInsertInlineEqn mod=UIRibbonCls in
RunMTDLLCommand: Object doesn't support this property or method. Please save
your document and report this error to Design Science Technical Support."
If Microsoft Word was running when your computer was restarted after a Microsoft
Auto-update, this error can occasionally present itself the
next time you start Word. For more information see the
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541. The error message indicates a
problem with the Microsoft Word
Ribbon. Below are instructions for resetting it.
Use the following instructions to "reset" the Word Ribbon.
- Exit all Office programs.
- Click Start
- Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a
confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
- Locate the following registry subkey:
(Where "xx" corresponds to your version of
- Click Data, and then click Export on the File menu.
- Name the file Wddata.reg, and then save the file to your
computer (be sure to note where you save it).
- On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart Word.
If Word starts and works correctly, you have resolved the problem. The
problem was a damaged Word Data registry key. You may have to change several
settings to restore your favorite options in Word. You can now delete the
exported key saved in step 7 above.