| TechNote #167:
Error message: Word cannot open this document template.
The information in this document applies to:
- Microsoft Word 2010 through 2016 (Windows only)
When you open Word, you're presented with this message:
After clicking OK to dismiss that dialog, this one appears:
And when you click OK to dismiss this one, you get one final error message:
Note: If the steps below don't
provide a solution, please see TechNote #137 for
another cause of the error shown in the 3rd error message above.
If you are getting all 3 error messages above in the order shown, the most
likely cause is Trust Center Settings.
Resolving the error
- Open Word Options. (If you're not familiar with Word Options, open Word
and click the File tab, then Options.)
- Click Trust Center, then Trust Center Settings.
- Click File Block Settings.
- There should be no boxes checked for anything related to Word 2003 or
later. If there are, uncheck these boxes and click OK.
We hope this has been helpful. As always, please
let us know if you
have questions about this, or if you have additional techniques that work. We'd love to hear from you.