Printing Issues with MathType 1.0, Microsoft Word for Windows 2.0, and HP LaserJet 4
The information in this document applies to:
MathType 1.0 (Win)
Microsoft Word 2.0 (Win)
After installing MathType, you must follow the instructions below if you wish
to print on a LaserJet 4. There is a compatibility problem with the LaserJet 4
driver and MathType's Fences font; however, there is an alternative Fences font
on your Word 2.0 disks that corrects the problem. The instructions below tell
you how to remove the incompatible Fences font and install the one that works.
Removing the existing version of Fences
- Install MathType using First Install.
- In the Windows Program Manager, double-click the Control Panel icon.
- Double-click the Fonts icon. The Fonts dialog box appears.
- In the Installed Fonts list, select the Fences (TrueType) font.
- Choose the Remove button. The Remove Font dialog box appears. Check the
Delete Font File from Disk box, then choose the Yes button.
Installing the alternative version of Fences
- Insert Word 2.0's Disk 3 (the Chart, Graph, and Equation Editor disk) into
a floppy drive.
- Using the DOS Copy command or the Windows File Manager, copy the file
A:\EQUATION\FENCES.TT$ (or B:\) to your Windows System directory (typically
- Remove Word's Disk 3 from the floppy drive, and insert Word's Disk 1 (the
- Run the DECOMP program on Word's Disk 1 to decompress the file FENCES.TT$.
To do this from the Windows File Manager, display the contents of the A: (or
B:) drive, and double-click on the DECOMP.EXE icon. Or, from DOS, go to the
A: drive and type DECOMP.
You will be prompted for the name of the compressed file and output file;
you will need to include the complete pathnames for these files. The
compressed file is FENCES.TT$ in your Windows System directory (in a typical
setup, the complete pathname will be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\FENCES.TT$). For the
output filename, use the same name except with the extension TTF instead of
- Once the file is decompressed, remove the compressed version from your
Windows System directory.
- If you're still in DOS, return to Windows.
- Double-click the Control Panel icon, then the Fonts icon.
- In the Fonts dialog box, choose the Add button. The Add Fonts dialog box
- In the Directories list, open your Windows System directory.
- In the List of Fonts, select Fences (TrueType) and choose the OK button.