Installing MathType 3.5 Macros into Microsoft Word 97 and 2000
The information in this document applies to:
MathType 3.5 (Windows)
Microsoft Word 97 (Win)
Microsoft Word 2000 (Win)
MathType 3.5 comes with a template document containing macros which add a number of new
features to the Insert and Tools menus of Word as well a
button to the Standard toolbar for
inserting MathType equations.
The current version MathType automatically installs the macros into Microsoft
Word 97 and 2000, so manual installation is not required. The current
version also includes an improved and expanded set of macros which have been
tested with Word 2000 and includes an add-in for PowerPoint which
adds a toolbar button to PowerPoint's toolbar for inserting a MathType equation.
Note: If you have MathType 3.1 or earlier, it is necessary to
upgrade your version of MathType if you want macros which are compatible with
Word 97 or 2000. If you have Office/Word XP (2002) or later you will need to
upgrade to our latest version of MathType.
1. Installing the macros in Microsoft Word 2000
2. Installing the macros in Microsoft Word 97
Installing the macros in Microsoft Word 2000
MS Word 2000 has a default macro security setting which prevents you from
installing macros to protect you from infecting your Normal template with macro
- Under the Tools menu of Word, choose Macro, and then Security. The dialog
below will open.
- Change your security setting to 'Medium'.
- You should then be able to install the macros in
per the instructions below for Word 97.
- After installing MathType's macros, return your macros Security to
"High" for the strongest protection.
Installing the macros in Microsoft Word 97
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- The macros for Microsoft Word 95 are in a Word document titled
The macros for Microsoft Word 97 are in
CMDMSW97.DOC. Under the File menu of Word select Open to open the
file for your version of Microsoft Word. These files are located in your
- You may receive a warning message because the file contains macros.
Microsoft Word 97 users will see the dialog below. The dialog for Word 2000
- Click Enable Macros. The document will open.
- About a third of the way through the document, you will find the box
- Double click on this gray box in the Word document to begin installation
of the macros.
- You will see a dialog asking you if you want to add a toolbar for
inserting MathType equations to be placed on your Word toolbar, shown below.
- Click Yes. You will then see a dialog asking you if you want to
install all of MathType's macros, shown below.
Click Yes. You will then see a dialog asking you if
you want to install the macros globally, shown below.
- The macros will be copied to
Normal.dot, Microsoft Word's
Normal template and the dialog below will be displayed, confirming that the
macros were successfully installed.
- Press OK.
The macro installation is complete. New commands will appear in
the Insert and Tools menus of Microsoft Word and a
button should appear on the Standard toolbar of Microsoft Word.