| TechNote #133:
MathType Toolbar/Tab has disappeared from Microsoft Word
These steps do not apply to Office 2016/365 (i.e., Office 15/16) for
The information in this document applies to:
- MathType 6.x (Windows)
- MathType 6.7h (Mac)
- Microsoft Word for Windows 2002 and later
- Microsoft Office 2011 (Mac)
Occasionally the MathType Toolbar/Tab will disappear from the
Microsoft Word Toolbar/Ribbon.
When Microsoft Office Auto-update runs and installs new updates, add-ins will
occasionally be disabled and in doing so, removes any Toolbar/Ribbon additions.
Depending on the version of Microsoft Word you are using, this can be easily
Before we go further, it's necessary to know precisely which version of
MathType you have, and which version of Word.
Macintosh: (Windows follows)
- With MathType open, click the MathType menu and select
(After you verify your version, click anywhere inside the "About
MathType" screen to dismiss it.)
- If your version is MathType
6.0, please upgrade before
- If your version is MathType 6.7-something, but
not 6.7h, please
download and install MathType 6.7h before proceeding. You
don't need to remove or uninstall anything, and your existing
product key will still work. Just install the new one. If that
doesn't fix the issue, continue...
- If your version is MathType 6.7h,
- With Word open, click the Word menu and select About
If your version of Word is 15.xx or
16.xx, do not proceed! These steps will
If you have confirmed you are using MathType 6.7h and Word 2011,
click to the next page to proceed with the rest
of the article...
- With MathType open, expand the Help menu (by clicking it),
and select About MathType. Note the version
number. Dismiss the About MathType dialog by clicking anywhere
- Now in Word, find the version number in one of the following
- If your version of Word has a Help
(NOT a Help tab on the
Ribbon), click Help, then About Word.
- If your version of Word has a File tab at
the far left of the ribbon, click File. If it
has the "Office button" instead of "File", click
the Office button.
- If you see Account
on the left, click it. If
Account isn't there,
Help should be. If so,
- On the right, look for
"About Microsoft Word" for the
version number and bit level.
- This will reveal the version
of Word and (if you're using
Office 2010 or later) the bit
level (32-bit or 64-bit).
Microsoft Word 2016
MSO (16.0.7127.1026) 32-bit
- Once you have confirmed your version of MathType and Word,
ensure your version of MathType supports your version of
- Word 2016 requires MathType 6.9b
or later (not 6.9 or 6.9a)
- Word 2013 requires MathType 6.9
- Word 2010 requires MathType 6.7
(64-bit Word requires MathType 6.8
- Word 2002-2007 require MathType 6.0
- If your version of MathType does not support your version of Word, you do not need to proceed. This is why the MathType tab is not visible.
Your only option is to upgrade.
- If your versions of MathType and Word are compatible,
proceed to the rest of the article, depending on your version of