Using MathType 4 for Windows with Microsoft Office XP
The information in this document applies to:
Microsoft Word 2002 (Win)
Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 (Win)
MathType 4.0 for Windows users who upgrade to Microsoft Office XP find that the MathType menu and toolbar
do not appear in Word 2002 and that the toolbar button in PowerPoint 2002 for inserting MathType
equations into presentations is also absent. Reinstalling MathType
does not cause them to appear.
Note: MathType 5 for Windows contains macros designed for use
with Microsoft XP which are installed automatically when you install MathType
and load more quickly when you launch Word. Please consider upgrading your
version of MathType if you are using Microsoft Office XP.
MathType 4.0 is compatible with Office XP, but was released in early 1999,
long before Office XP, and was not designed to work with Word 2002 and
PowerPoint 2002. The add-in included with MathType 4 for Word 2000 will work
with Word 2002, but it must be manually installed. The MathType add-in for PowerPoint 2000 does not
work with PowerPoint 2002, but you can add a button for inserting
MathType equations in PowerPoint by customizing PowerPoint's toolbars. You can edit MathType equations by double-clicking on them
in both Word 2002 and PowerPoint 2002 without the add-ins being installed.
To get the MathType 4 menu and toolbar in Word, you need to manually install the
MathType 4 add-in for Word 2000. MathType 5.0 will install improved add-ins
correctly into Word 2002 and PowerPoint 2002.
This notice addresses both Microsoft Word 2002 and PowerPoint 2002.
1. Make sure that you have MathType 4.0b installed
2. Manually installing the MathType 4 Add-In for Microsoft Word
3. Placing a MathType 4 button on the toolbar of
Microsoft PowerPoint 2002
Make sure that you have MathType 4.0b installed
Choose Help>About MathType to open the "About MathType"
If the version is not 4.0b, you will need to
download MathType 4.0b and install it.
You can always check for the latest version of MathType by
choosing Help>MathType on the Web>Check for latest version when you have an
active internet connection.
If you have an earlier version of MathType 4.0 installed, upon
launching Microsoft Word 2002 (XP), you will receive an error message that says,
You have version 10.0 of Microsoft Word; These macros work only
with version 8.0 and newer.
Manually installing the MathType Add-In for Microsoft Word 2002
- Launch Microsoft Word 2002 (XP).
- Under the Tools menu, choose Macro and then Security.
- Change your Security Level to Medium.
- Click OK and quit Microsoft Word.
- Launch Windows Explorer.
- Locate your MathType directory. By default, it should be located on your
primary hard drive, inside the Program files directory.
- Open the Office Support folder in your MathType
MathType Commands for Word 2000.dot file inside it will work
with Word 2002.
- Right-click on
MathType Commands for Word 2000.dot and choose copy.
- Locate your Microsoft Office folder, which is in your Program Files
directory by default.
- Open the Office10 folder inside the Microsoft Office folder.
- Inside it is a folder called Startup.
- Right-click on Startup and choose Paste.
- Restart Word 2002. The MathType menu and toolbar in Word should both be
present. Because the MathType 4 macros are not digitally signed, every time
you launch Word 2002, you will see the following dialog:
Click Enable Macros. You will be able to use the MathType macros
Note: In MathType 5 for Windows, because the
macros are digitally signed, it is not necessary to enable the
macros every time Microsoft Word 2002 is launched.
Placing a MathType button on the toolbar of Microsoft
- Launch PowerPoint 2002.
- Under the Tools menu of PowerPoint choose Customize.
- Click on the Commands tab.
- Under Categories, select Insert. Under Commands, scroll down to find the
- Click on the button
icon and, holding your mouse button down, drag the button image onto a
PowerPoint toolbar. A [+] box will appear when the mouse pointer is over a
toolbar location where the button can be placed.
- Once the button has
been placed on a toolbar, click Close to close the Customize window.
You can now insert MathType equations into your PowerPoint presentations by
clicking on the button.