The information in this document applies to:
MathType 3.5 (Win)
MathType 4.0 (Win)
Lotus WordPro 96
With the release of WordPro 96 for Windows 95 (previously AmiPro), the link
between MathType and WordPro has been strengthened. WordPro supports Object
Linking and Embedding (OLE). This feature allows the immediate insertion and
editing of MathType equations directly from within WordPro.
Setting up WordPro 96 for use with MathType
When inserting MathType objects into WordPro, the equations are placed into
a WordPro frame. The frame default style is defined to anchor in the paragraph
with a border. This setting is undesirable if you intend on placing equations
in-line with other text. In order to redefine the settings, you must first
create a instance of the style you wish to change. To redefined the frame style
default to be a character anchor (in-line) without a border, do the following:
- Launch WordPro 96
- Select Object from WordPro's Create menu; this will display a listing
of the various OLE applications.
- Select MathType Equation and click OK; this will launch MathType.
- Create a sample equation (i.e.: x + y = 2) in the MathType window; remember,
this is just to redefine the style.
- Close the MathType window (and select Update if prompted); this will place
the sample equation in WordPro at the insertion point.
- Right-mouse click on the equation; this willProduce a floating menu
- Select FrameProperties from the list.
- On the Line tab, set Lines around frame to NONE.
- On the Placement tab, change the Place frame value to In Text.
- On the Style tab, click Redefine Style .
- On the Redefine dialog, click OK.
- Close theProperties dialog by clicking on the X in the upper right corner
of the dialog.
- Click on the equation and press the DELETE key on your keyboard; this will
delete the equation.
This will now redefine the style of Graphic / OLE objects to be 'no border /
in text' for the active document only. The following describes theProcedure
that needs to be done to save this as a template so that these setting can be
used in future documents.
- Select Save As located under File in the WordPro menu.
- Change the Save in directory to the \Lotus\Smasters directory.
- Change the Save as type to Lotus WordPro Smartmaster (*.MWP).
- Type in the new template filename ( i.e.: default2 ).
- Click Save.
The next dialog that you will see will have to do with author accreditation.
You may select yes or no to this dialog as it has no affect on thisProcedure.
Once the file is saved, you can recall the template whenever you start a new
document. Simply select your template whenever you create a new document.
Adding shortcuts to WordPro 96
WordPro 96 comes with Smarticon bar shortcuts that reduce the amount of work
that has to be done to get specific tasks done. One of these shortcuts is
To toggle the view of Smarticons, select Smarticons which is located under
Show/Hide in the View menu in WordPro.
To customize the Smarticon bars, do the following:
- Select Smarticon Setup which is located under User Setup in the File
menu in WordPro; this will display the Smarticon setup dialog.
- Change Bar name to the name of the bar to which you wish to add the
shortcut, (i.e.: Text).
- Scroll through the Available icons (drag to add) list and drag the icon
for Insert object to the desired location on the bar.
- Click OK
You will now be able to display the Insert Object dialog by simply clicking
on the new toolbar button.
While WordPro correctly sizes the equations, it does not correctly adjust
the vertical position of the equations to line up with the text automatically.
Vertical alignment of the equations needs to be done by hand by dragging the
equation to the desired position.